Monday, July 28, 2008

Pioneer Day - My 36th Birthday (Ugh)












This year like every year since I was born - (well maybe I have missed a few here and there) we went to the Ogden Pioneer Day Parade. This is a tradition that I have loved since I was little. My mom used to take us every year and every time I thought it was just for me. My Birthday has always been a celebration...well for the state of Utah anyway. This year I went with my kids and my sister Jen and most of her kids. As Tradition, Ron didn't go. Sitting in the hot sun, on the ground, watching a parade is not exactly his cup of tea. That's okay because me and Jen like to do it. I love the parade! I can't believe I am going to admit this but I get emotional when it starts! The motorcycle cops cruise up and down with their sirens on, then the Flag comes and everyone stands up and puts their hands on their hearts and the military planes go flying over...I know I am a nerd but I love it. My Grandpa had an old covered wagon and he always said that he was going to fix it up and let me ride in it in the parade. Well that didn't happen. Our favorite things in this years parade were: The missionaries (they got more applause then anyone, it was cool!), the dinosaur from the Dinosaur Park and Jonah met Stan the Bird from the Newspaper.


After the parade we went to the Pioneer Museum behind the Ogden Temple. They had activities for the kids - the boys made old fashioned yo-yos and covered wagons. Hannah made a bonnet and a rag doll. On the wall going down the stairs in the museum is a picture of my ancestors George and Jane Kerr. He was Ogden's first Train Depot Master. That was cool to see and show the kids. We also went to Farr's Ice Cream and later that night had a Bar-B-Q at my mom's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, great blog... thank you for an interesting read

New Advertise to 6,000+ Websites by Pagerank, Traffic, Reach, and More for FREE! FREE PR2 LINK INCLUDED

Angie said...

Happy Birthday Michele!!!! Looks like you had a fun day. I will have to look into making a more "pioneer" type of celebration next year.

Angie